Thursday 11 April 2019

Negotiating the Wheel of Fortune

In my last Random Reading post I mentioned that I was feeling a bit fragile, but I didn't elaborate. Well, it's like this...
Tarot Pointner

Everything shifted for me last year when I stopped thinking of myself as an "Administrative assistant who enjoyed reading cards", and instead adopted an "I'm a card reader with an office job" mindset.

I've really grown into that new perspective. It's changed how I approach card reading and opened up new opportunities for me.

And it's a good thing, too, because now, unintentionally, "I'm a card reader, full stop".

Mr Boss has decided he's ready to retire. He's winding down the business and has let his staff (all two of us) go.

Thirteen years. It doesn't feel like it. But it does entitle me to 19½ weeks redundancy pay, so that's nice. And that gives me a chance to catch my breath before I have to seriously start thinking about finding another job.

That's where the fragility comes in. The whole process of "job hunting" fills me with dread.

Tarot for Cats
Having to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance - not so much for the piddling amount of money, but so that I continue to earn National Insurance credits which count towards my eventual pension (which is 9 years off yet, damn).

Then fulfilling the "actively seeking employment" clause by basically having to apply for any and every job going, however unsuitable.

And then, and this is the bit that's slaying me, the horrifying prospect of actually being offered [shudder] an interview. Hide me!


Could I get by just on "I'm a card reader"? Oh, I'm working on it! Especially if it spares me the nightmare of an interview. But really, making even a part-time living from card reading alone is still a long way off.

One small positive in all of this, though, is that I don't feel entirely 'unemployed'. I have a job. I'm a card reader. I'm just gonna need a second job for a while, that's all. 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment