Sunday 14 March 2021

Random Reading - #104

Here's another newish addition I've been wanting to showcase. I bought this one because I recognised it as a "younger sister" of the oldest deck in my collection (details below).


Glรผck – Dieb – Reichthum – Richter – Unbestรคndigkeit
Fortune – Thief – Wealth – Judge - Inconstancy

⁛ You may be tempted to take advantage of a "golden opportunity" coming your way. Be careful – its legally and/or ethically dubious. ⁛


The above deck, the "younger sister", is Oracolo del Danubio, "Danube Oracle", produced by the Spanish division of Lo Scarabeo, Orbis Fabbri, in 2002. It's a reprint of a deck published by Wilhelm Hegenauer, Vienna, circa 1890. 


Die Sybille Wahrsagekarten

Prior to this, I'd spotted my deck's "older sister", Die Sibylle Wahrsagekarten, "The Sibyl Fortune-Telling Cards", published by Silberschnur Verlag. This one is a reprint of a deck published by Johann Conrad Jegel, Nuremberg, circa 1870.


Aufschlag Karten, published by W Hendl

My original deck, in both senses, is a dog-eared but remarkably tidy copy of a deck simply named Aufschlag Karten, designed by Josef Neumayer and published by Wilhelm Hendl, Vienna, circa 1880 – the "middle sister". 

Aufschlag can be translated as "service" or "surcharge", but I think the meanings that apply here are "serve" (in the sense of hitting a tennis ball), "impact" and "crash". It strikes me (no pun intended) that this is the idea – Slap Upside the Head Cards. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

And how's this for synchronicity? The Glรผck and Dieb cards were together, in that order, in all three decks.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, thank you very much, I love the deck as well. ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Odia! I am fond of these proper old-fashioned fortune-telling decks. ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
    2. The older the cards the more beautiful. I love vintage Judy. ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ’–

      Delete
  2. Hello Judy,
    "Aufschlag / Aufschlagen" in the context of cards is the german folk-tounge for the following (please do excuse the lengthy wording): "the forceful turning of a face down card into its face up position", you literally "slap it open".
    Traditionally, the art of reading cards to foretell the future was called "Karten schlagen" in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anonymous! That makes perfect sense to me. That's exactly how my Opa used to play Romme, slapping down his cards with a smug "Ha!". ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
      And it still conveys the idea of "Read 'em and weep". ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  3. Unbelievable Judy, this reading actually happened to me about 3 days ago on Twitter!! I just realized that!!! I heeded the 'warning'.๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ™Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Well, that *is* good. The problem nowadays is that, with social media, we are all constantly subjected to "too-good-to-be-true" offers. Trust no one! ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete