Thursday 12 July 2018

The Frustrated Fortune Teller

Tarot challenges.
Instagram, YouTube, Facebook…

Every time a new one comes along I get all excited and think, “Yay, another reason to play with my lovely cards. Let’s do this!”

And about three days in I’m like, “Judy, how many times? 🙄 You know you don’t get on with these challenges.”

The problem is, I don’t like reading cards without a reason.

Prompts or no prompts, it amounts to the same thing. I’m either pulling cards just to see what shows up, or I’m tackling prompts that most of the time I’m not invested in. And if I were, I wouldn’t necessarily want to be sharing the results with all and sundry.

This is why I don’t do daily draws either. They’re just too vague. There’s no “Need” involved. (Check out Balthazar's video - NEED is The Fuel for The Engine of Divination)

And yes, this does extend to my weekly Colour Focus readings. I work through my discomfort by reminding myself that I’m doing these readings for others; that my intention is to get a message meant for someone out there.

Here I am, surrounded by enough cards to choke a small herd of horses, and I’ve got no one to read for and only rarely do I have anything I want to read on for myself. It’s nuts!

And so I gravitate towards the challenges because mucking about with my cards is better than not using them at all, right? Mmm, not so much. It just ends up feeling empty and slightly exhibitionist.

I really need to find a way to read for other people.

My recent freebie offer was as much a toe-dipping exercise as it was a way of finding out if anyone’s listening.

The problem with free readings is that very often people are attracted more to the “free” than the “reading”. They don’t really have a need either. They’re just taking advantage of getting something for nothing. Who wouldn’t?

So I’d like to charge a small fee. If someone’s willing to part with a couple of quid, they’re more likely to have a real question they’d appreciate an answer to.

Of course, all this would have to be online, via email or snail mail - Hello! 👋 Dyed-in-the-wool introvert here, with strong reclusive tendencies.

That said, I’ve been kicking this idea around for about a year and still I have no idea where to start. I suppose the motivation for this post was to get my thoughts down in writing to see if that might get the ball rolling.

Card reading is fun. Having loads of different decks at my disposal is fun! I’m not about to stop working with them any time soon. But I know I could be doing something useful and it seems such a waste to just be mucking about.

2 comments:

  1. I identify greater with this post. I feel that I am triggered by my insecurities to keep offering free readings no matter how juvenile the question is as a way to prove to myself at least that I am able to providing a level of accuracy from the years of learning I have embarked on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I get that. Even "throwaway" readings at least provide some validation, IF the recipients are good enough to give us feedback. :)

      We've put too much time and effort (and money, LOL) into developing our skills for it just to be a amiable hobby. It's weird because the introvert in me does not want to get involved with reading for others, but I just have this growing sense that it's something I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe it is just justification for all the time and money, but it doesn't feel like that.

      Delete