Saturday 24 July 2021

Random Rambling - #1

I'm feeling really blah about blogging lately. 

Getting a bit jarred off with the Random Readings; trying but not succeeding to think of something worthwhile to do with this space; wanting a more meaningful practice generally.

It got particularly bad today, and I'm guessing this full moon probably isn't helping my mood.


Most of my card-related time is spent translating the books and instructions that come with various foreign-language decks. I do enjoy this -  I love languages, and it furthers my understanding of the decks and of cartomancy generally. Or I'm hanging out online, hoping to find interesting conversations and intelligent questions.

But it's not card reading.

Sure, I sell readings, very occasionally. I don't do it to make money. I do it because I want to read and charging a few quid weeds out the bored and the self-obsessed. 

I offer free readings, but I'm careful where and how I go about it because lots of people treat free readings like the peanuts on the bar. They don't really want them, they certainly don't need them, but they're free so they keep grabbing handfuls.

I'd like to share what I've learned, too, but I can't see a way of doing it that would work for me. I drop little bits of information in my blog posts from time to time, but teaching cartomancy requires consistency - if I start I have to follow through with some sort of "lesson plan", and really it needs live interaction, which would mean video. Not my favourite thing. Mainly because that means interacting with people and sometimes that's the last thing I want to do.

Reading that back, I realise I really am like the old witch at the end of the village, who everyone is scared of and will only dare visit if in desperate need of some fortune-telling. 

If you've read this far, wow. Is there anything you'd like to see here? Anything you'd like me to talk about? 

I can't promise to accommodate you    but it might give me some ideas going forward. Thank you for listening.


10 comments:

  1. Judy, your posts are always entertaining and informative! How do you translate books and instructions from other languages I assume you don't know (or else why would you need to translate?)? Do you type or scan the text into Google Translate? I'm curious about the technical aspect of the process. Thanks, Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Monika. πŸ™πŸ’—

      I used to type everything in - particularly onerous when the language has its own script. I'm currently translating a Russian book. I started out typing it... Now I scan!!

      Sharing my process might make a reasonable post. πŸ€”
      If you can bear with me, I'll see if I can get something up here in a day or two.

      Delete
    2. The post is up! Thank you for prompting it. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. Hi Judy, I am so sorry you feel blaaah. Interesting aboit the other language and how you manage. I love that. I am not peoply anymore and you are not a 'witch' to be feared or ignored. πŸ˜πŸ’–
    I would like to know how do you prepare before and after a reading. I know about grounding, but what about the candles and the crystals and such. I am so interested in that. I do love the titbits you give. πŸ’– πŸ’– πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Odia. I've always been reclusive, but the pandemic... hasn't *made* me more so but it has given me the chance to really embrace my inner Hermit. πŸ˜‰ I can't see me ever going back to any "normal" level of social interaction, LOL!

      As for my pre-reading prep, it's pretty low-key and doesn't justify a blog post. πŸ™‚ First I tune in on which deck is "calling" to be used. I rarely do it for myself, but when I read for others I have a bottle of Clary ("clear-eye") Sage oil that I sniff at this point and occasionally during the reading. Then I start to shuffle while asking my spirit team to join me. If it's feeling a bit blocked, I'll tap the deck on the table three times to clear the connection. Once I feel their presence I try to clear my mind and shuffle until I feel that the cards are "set".

      Coincidentally, I just did a YouTube video response about witchy clichΓ©s. It asked about candles and crystals and yes, I do use them but not so much with card reading. I always have a sodalite stone in my reading space. To me it facilitates truth and clarity. Sometimes I'll be drawn to place some other crystal in the space depending on the energy of the question. I will occasionally light a candle or burn some incense, but I that's down to mood more than anything else.

      That's it really. I'm happy to share this sort of thing with individuals who ask, but it's not the sort of thing I feel the need to say "Hey World, read this" about. 😏

      Delete
  3. Languages sorry, my typos suck. πŸ’– πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🌻🌼Thank you for sharing Judy. If I could have one card of Tarot that I am drawn to every time and that I love and that I take as me, then it is the Hermit. I love him/her. I also like the man staring out to sea card and the lady and child in the gondola card. My three favourites.🌼🌼🌼🌻

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know how much I enjoy your readings. They don't always speak to me but I enjoy reading them nonetheless. I enjoy the different decks you use as well.

    I know what you mean about the free readings being like peanuts. The way some people treat free readings is enough to put one completely off reading cards. But I do hope you continue doing readings and, especially, your blog posts. I always look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, Thank you. You've always been a generous "supporter" of my contributions. πŸ₯° I'm certainly not about to stop doing readings. It's what I *DO*! 😊 I just wish... LOL, I'm not sure what I wish.

      Delete