Sunday 27 August 2023

Connection

The fact is, I'm lonely. 






I want so desperately to share my fascination with tarot with someone else who gets it. Someone who gets it in the way I do. And who isn't just a name on the internet.

So two things happen:

I spend way too much time scrolling on social media looking for a connection, even though they are just names.

I don't touch my cards because I've got no one to tangibly share the experience with.

I decided to find out what would happen if I didn't go on social media this whole weekend. This blog doesn't count. It's not exactly a hive of social activity.

I got more "other" stuff done – listed things on eBay, read a book, did some crochet, blogged... All things I haven't touched while I've been endlessly scrolling.

Still can't bring myself to pull cards, though. And when I try to think of some way to motivate myself, I feel that tug in the pit of my stomach. A combination of fear and sadness.

The point of this post? I don't know. I just wanted to say it out loud, I guess. Maybe other people feel the same way, and seeing they're not the only one might help somehow.

Of course I appreciate when people react to the stuff I put out there. It's nice to make those little connections. 

But the online tarot community is not a friend.


(image: Creatures Oracle by Sara Kathleen. My new best friend.)


12 comments:

  1. Hi! Monika here. I'm feeling a similar 'lull' at the moment, which is not surprising after going full-blast for the past 6 years. I'm still in more than a dozen online groups though, and wonder what brought you to summarily dismiss the online Tarot community. I am getting new ideas from YT videos, FB groups, online courses and swap readings, all of which provide opportunities to connect with others. I'm signed up for a live online course in Spanish cartomancy which starts next week. Interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not feeling a lull. Far from it. Tarot/cartomancy is my main interest. I want to spend way more time with it.

      And I’m not summarily dismissing the online tarot community. It serves its purpose. My issue with it is that I spend too much time scrolling in search of something it can’t provide – a real-life Tarot buddy.

      Case in point, had this been a real-time conversation rather than an online post, I would, hopefully, have been able to get my feelings across more clearly.

      Delete
    2. It did come across as your main point, and I share the sentiment.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if meeting on Facebook or Skype could fill that void.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant FaceTime.

      Delete
    2. It would help, but it's not same as, like I said to Mary, getting together for "coffee and cards" with an actual person. Sharing cards on screen doesn't recreate the tactile and spiritual experience of handling the cards together. The thing is, I'm really whinging about a situation that is entirely of my own making. I'm an introvert. I'm not comfortable with video calls, phone calls, etc and I'm not about to go out and actually try to find a kindred spirit, LOL!

      Delete
    3. 😊 Let me know if you ever change your mind! I think it could be fun.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. I sometimes get card reading lonely too. I wish I read Tarot. I would love to share stories and compare notes with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know me. If it's cards, I'm into it. 😎 It doesn't have to be tarot. But yeah, it would be nice to do "coffee and cards" with an actual person. Sharing things online can lead to some pleasant interactions but you're still just a voice in a wilderness of other voices. It's my own fault, really, as I'm such an introvert. I have one friend (seriously, one), she lives 70 away miles away and has no interest in divination or spirituality whatsoever. I do wonder why we're even friends. 😂

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world has changed. We are going fast, no one has the time... except for endless scrolling :) It was suggested before me... getting together online actually does substitute a real-life friend, except it is online-real-life friend, not one you can touch or hug, yes, it is different, but still a substitute... Do you have a possibility to meet up live with some kind of tarot group on weekly basis or something like that? Maybe start from there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree. Online interactions, particularly video chats, can be great. But there's a level of intimacy that's missing. I guess my need for connection is more spiritual than social.

      I really wish there was a local tarot group, but I live in a small town out on a peninsula. I know of one other person here who reads cards and that's it. There may be more, there probably is, but they're not advertising the fact. And I’m not the sort of person to initiate a group. In addition, I don't drive, so travelling further afield for a group is not a comfortable option.

      I fully accept that, apart from the fact that I can’t help living back-of-beyond, my loneliness is largely of my own making. Maybe this post was just a cry to the Universe to miraculously send another cardophile to my door. 😌

      Delete